I made soo many blogger friends after Lydia posted my pantry pixs. This is soo amazing!!
Here's the Foul Mesdammes recipe as requested by Susan G....
Serves 4 – 6
2 cans of broad beans*
1 can of peas
350 grams mince beef
4 large tomatoes
1 bunch of coriander leaves, about 20 cents worth… more if you like – cut into 1cm length
2 large onions
1 inch young ginger
1 teaspoon each of fennel, cumin and coriander seeds
- Fry the above in a wok without oil, until fragrant. Then grind them coarsely.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Large onion cut into cubes
- Green chillies
- Sunny-side-up eggs
- A bit more of the coriander leaves
1. Puree 1 can of broad beans and 1 can of peas and put it aside
2. Wash and cut the tomatoes into cubes
3. Heat the oil and fry the grinded garlic onions, garlic, ginger and the coarsely grinded fennel, cumin and coriander seeds and salt… until fragrant
4. In goes the mince beef and fry until the beef is cooked
5. In goes the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes is a slightly soft
6. Then pour in the pureed beans, peas and the remaining 1 can of broad beans, water and all.
7. Leave it to boil… stir once in a while to make sure it does not burn at the bottom
8. Salt and pepper....
9. Throw in the coriander leaves... save some for garnish
10. Ready to eat :-)
* Canned broad beans are available at:
- Sheng Shiong supermarket at $0.50 a can. This one’s made in China.
- Mustafa Supermarket at $1.90 a can. This one’s from Dubai.
- Or you can use dried Fava Beans… just remember to soak it overnight
Good luck Susan G!!