Monday, March 10, 2008

Indonesian Caramel Cake aka Kek Span

I've been glued to the TV since Monday morning when I opened my eyes at MIL's place. And I continued the saga at home.. watching a new... well not new NEW... but it's called Weeds from Showtime. It's desperate Housewives cross SITC cross something... But i supp Showtime won't described it like that, cos most of the reviews goes something like... it is better than anything on HBO. Oooohhh....

F pulled me away from TV to retrieve a work file just a few minutes ago. And I thot... OK might as well update the blog. I owe Kak S this recipe for the longest longest time. Here goes:

Indonesian Caramel Cake aka Kek Span
**yields a 8X8" cake

6 eggs
80 g Butter (softened)
200 g sugar
210 g all purpose flour
1 can of evaporated milk
2 tsp bicarbonated soda

150 g sugar with 100 ml water... to make golden syrup. yields abt 180ml golden syrup.

Instructions
1. Beat eggs and sugar. Mix well.
2. Pour in the flour and bicarbonate soda and evaporated milk and beat well.
3. Then add in the Golden syrup and beat quickly
4. Sieve the mixture and add the softened butter
5. Leave mixture for at least 4 hours... preferably overnight
6. Bake using the bottom heat first until it rises
7. Then use both top and bottom heat

The recipe comes from my mum. And the above was translated from her cursived handwriting in Malay. I hope I did well in the translation. Esp. the part abt pouring the Golden syrup in quickly. Her exact words were "...masukkan gula goreng kacau dengan cepat baru ditapis masukkan pula mentega.." No fullstop, commas.

I am yet to try the recipe. At least by putting it in here, I know where to find it when I decided to make it... and misplaced the recipe again.

Good luck Kak S!!!

No comments: