Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Throat Infection and Chocolate Tart





I think it was the endless soda that I drank... and the leftover chocolates from Eid celebration. I am down with a throat infection. It's really bad. Doc said that my lymph node swells up and with all the anti bodies fighting in me, it gave me a slight fever. So I've been eating porridge for the whole day today. That explains the picture of the mushy looking thingy up there. It has minced meat, peas and carrots. I've never cooked porridge for myself before in my whole existence. Oh well... there's always a first.

Although my throat can't swallow anything solid now... I've been wanting to bake a choc tart for the longest time. I still had that bar of baking choc from my attempts to make choc covered pretzels. I had downloaded the recipe from the internet... now this one I cannot remember exactly where I got it from. It was from someone else blog I think.

Mum gave me this antique-looking pie baking tray that she had for as long as I can remember. I don't remember her making pies or tarts when we were young though. But I remembered once when she made this really yummy puff pastries filled with minced meat and veggies and potatoes... I ate soo much I couldn't eat dinner!!

I'll be bringing the choc tart down to Mum's place tomorrow. Sis will definitely get her share too since her home is en route to the bustop for me to catch my bus home from Mum's place. How convinient!!

Well that means I get to play with Miramon... and see how big Ulfa is now. Heheh.

Okie dokies.. this time round, i followed the recipe to the core. However, I didn't have enough choc, the bar I have is only 7.05oz. And I realised that the smallest whipping cream packaging (I used Emborg) is 200ml. OK... so I didn't really follow the recipe to the core... But i hope you will and tell me how yours turned out.

It says here that it was adapted from Baking: From my home to yours; Dorie Greenspan. Mann... I seriously cannot remember where I got this from. I printed the recipe the minute I saw it..

My crust didn't look worthy enough to be pictured...

For the Crust:
1 1/2 Cups of plain flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
130g cold salted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk (in Singapore, I find the eggs very small, so I usually use 2)
A 9 inch fluted tart pan
1 piece of aluminium foil large enough to cover your crust

1. Put the flour, sugar and butter into a mixer (i used a Kenwood mixer with the K Beater) and beat to combine. (if you don't have a mixer, you can put the ingredients in a bowl and rub it with your fingers.... kinda remind me of my secondary school home econs class..)

2. when mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, add in the yolk and continue to beat. When ingredients are mixed uniformly, turn it out to a work surface and knead the dough to incorporateb any dry ingredients that might have escaped the mixing.

3. butter a 9 inch fluted tart pan with a removable botton. Press dough evenly over the botton and up the sides of the pan. Freeze the crust for at leats 30mins.. preferably longer.

4. centre a rack in the oven and preheat oven to 180 degree celcius, butter the shiny side of the aluminium foil and fit the foil, buttered side down, tightly against the crust.

5. Put the tart pan on a baking tray and bake for about 25 minutes. Carefully remove the foil. If the crust puffed, press it down gentlly with the back of a spoon. If you prefer your crust to be more brown and crisp, bake for another 8 mins or so.

6. Transfer the tart pan to a rack and cool completely before filling it up...

For the filling:
8 oz bittersweet choc, finely chopped
1 cup plus 2tbs whipping cream
55g butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces

1. Put the chocs in a heatproof bowl and have a whisk at hand. Bring the cream to a boil, the pour half of it over the choc and let it sit for 30sec. Working the whick, very gently stir the choc and cream in small circles, starting at the centre if the bowl and working your way out.

2. Pour in the remainder of the cream and blend it into the choc, using the same circular motion. When the ganache is mooth and shiny, stir in the butter piece by piece. Don't stir the ganache any more than you must to blend the ingredients - the less you work it, the darker, smoother and shinier it will be.

3 Por the ganache into the crust and gently turn the pan from side to side to even the ganache. Refrigerate the tart to let the ganache set.

The tart had been in the fridge for the last 1 hour... but I've opened the fridge at least twice to check it out. Heheh. I feel like a little kid... I always do everytime I start a baking project. I will kept peering at the oven to watch the cake rise. I suppose it is the anticipation of it. And once the cake is out of the oven... before it even cools off, I'll be the first to eat i. Well, there's only F & I at home. And most of the time when I baked, he is either at work or sleeping. So heheh... I'm always the first. I'll save the cake for a few days. During that few days, F will be the one eating the cakes... and by then I totally lose interest in the cake. I'm weird like that.

No comments: