Monday, May 05, 2008

Bostini Pie inspired cupcakes & Kua Curry Grilled Chicken

Left Mum at the hospital waiting for dad's ops. Dad met with an accident on the day we returned from BKK. Came home to cook dinner for F before he leaves for night shift. His working hours are crazy... morning at Changi, night at Alexandra. Poor F. The least I could do is feed him well. Heheh...


While waiting for F to come home, thot I blogged a bit more....
I read about the Daring Bakers' Challenge... about them making the Bostini Cream Pie. Smally-mally Boston Cream Pie. It inspired me to make something similar... but not really close to it. What the ...??? Ok OK... I made cupcakes topped with icing and chocolate ganache (Ga-nache... not Ga-NA-CHEE... NL told me how to pronunce. heheh).

It's basically Martha's cupcake and frosting recipe. Kak N taught me that I should beat the egg whites seperately to get a lighter, not so weighed down cakes. And then I poured the Choc Ganache from my previously posted Choc Tart recipe but minus the butter.


But remember to allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting it. And allow the frosted cakes to chill in the fridge before pouring the warm ganache. It's a three-step deco process... but trust me. After that the bite into the completed cupcakes is ooohhhh soo worth it.


Also, since F is such a chicken fan. Yup.. anything chix is F's favourite dish. Fried, grilled, simmer in sauce... he up for it. As long as it is chix. I've been collecting chix recipe. I looove grilled chix more than anything else. Plus it is healthier than fried. So, in the anticipation of our upcoming BKK trip, I borrowed The Big Book of Thai Curries by Vatcharin Bhumichitr from NLB. I have to confess, I made the paste like a week before we left for BKK. I made too much and kept the rest in the fridge. Two weeks after our return, bought really cheap frozen chix wings from Giant the other day. 2kg for $7.60. I took two packets. Now I have 4kg of chix wings in the fridge.... so i decided to make grilled chix wings. Yummy!!!



Kua Curry Grilled Chicken


Recipe for the Kua Curry Paste.
It says in the book that it makes roughly about 14 tablespoons (now... I didn't noticed that fine print when I was making the past in the beginning....)


10 small dried chillies (i used normal bird-eye chillies)
5 large dried chillies (skipp....)
1 tbs sea salt (errmmm... I used normal table salt)
20g shallots
50g garlic
1tbs finely chopped galangal
4tbs finely shopped lemongrass
1tbs finely shopped kaffir lime peel
1tbs white peppercorns
1tbs finely chopped fresh tumeric (if unavl, use the same qty of ground tumeric) ... i used ground tumeric


Abt 1 kg chix wings + 3 tbs of the above paste + 100ml of thick coconut milk (i used the ones in the box...)


Steps:
1. Heat up some oil and fry the paste till fragrant
2. Add in the coconut milk and same qty of water
3. Simmer for a few minutes and add in your chix
4. Simmer till chix is half cook
5. Meanwhile, heat up the oven
6. Grill chix until nice and brown (basting it with the gravy every now and then)
7. Once done, heat up the remaining gravy until nice and thick (until it becomes like a paste....kinda remind me of the Rendang's gravy...). You can place the thick gravy on the side when serving the chix..in case you wanna use it for extra ooomph!!


No comments: